Saturday, July 14, 2012

10 Awesome Hip Hop Songs You May Not Know

I've been a fan of hip hop music ever since I was in middle school. After my mom, my brother and I moved to Newport News, Virginia, I became surrounded by Cross Colours-wearing, Starter jacket-sporting, R&B and hip hop-rapping fools.


I can remember hanging out with my older brother as he blasted Black Sheep's "The Choice is Yours" through his bedroom walls as I tried to do my homework, or trying to recited all of the lyrics to Das EFX's "They Want EFX" (the key words being "trying to.")

Hip hop back in the late 80's and early 90's was golden. It was as royally awesome as Eddie Murphy was in the movie "Coming to America." But the essence of hip hop has changed since then. Nowadays all you hear about is pourin' a drank or dancing with strippers. Plus, everything is remixed and auto-tuned to the point that you can't understand the lyrics!

Okay, not ALL hip hop sounds like that today. In fact, here are 10 awesome and unique hip hop songs from the last few years that you may not know. Many of them have the A Tribe Called Quest/Pharcyde/The Roots/Digable Planets sort of vibe. The good stuff.

1.  Hoodie Allen - "James Franco"



2.  Snowgoons ft Viro the Virus - "Starlight"



3.  People Under the Stairs - "Uprock Boogie"



4.  Chiddy Bang - "Ray Charles"



5.  Wise Intelligent - "Another Chance @ Life"



6.  Jedi Mind Tricks - "Razorblade Salvation"



7.  K-OS - "4-3-2-1"



8.  Little Brother - "The Way You Do It"



9.  Rhymefest - "Devil's Pie"



10.  Sweatshop Union - "Bill Murray"




No comments:

Post a Comment