Thursday, April 7, 2011

Top 10 Nerds in Film

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for nerds. Maybe it's because I like thick-rimmed glasses, bow ties and pocket protectors. Maybe it's because I'm a female nerd who loves to read books and has more than one computer monitor on my desk. I don't care what other people think: I'd choose an intelligent nerd over a dumb jock any day.


Speaking of nerds, here are 10 of my all-time favorite nerds in film. Each of these guys has a unique quality that makes him uber geeky.

10. George McFly

Crispin Glover played Marty McFly's nerdy teenage father perfectly in Back to the Future.  Although he was a scrawny nerd, he had enough strength to punch that butthead Biff in the face.

Best Quote: "Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain."

Image: Kings Fans
 
9. Paulie Bleeker

Michael Cera always plays the awkward nerd that you sometimes want to punch, sometimes want to hug. He made a spectacular nerd fashion statement with his sweatbands in Juno.

Best Quote: "Like I'd marry you! You'd be the meanest wife ever, okay? And I know that you weren't bored that day because there was a lot of stuff on TV, and then 'The Blair Witch Project' was coming on Starz and you were like 'I haven't seen this since it came out and if so we should watch it' and then 'but oh, no, we should just make out instead la la la.'"

Image: Future Gamez


8. Max Fischer

Rushmore is one of my favorite movies of all time, mainly because Jason Schwartzman is extremely precocious and rude as Max Fischer. You hate this guy the entire film, but in the end he redeems himself by dating an Asian girl. 

Best Quote: "Maybe I'm spending too much of my time starting up clubs and putting on plays. I should probably be trying harder to score chicks."


Image: Daily Fill

7. Lord Dark Helmet

Ghostbusters. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. Little Giants. Rick Moranis is the coolest nerd in movie (and real-life) history.



Best Quote: "Before you die there is something you should know about us, Lone Star. I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate."



 6. Philip F. "Duckie" Dale


Before Jon Cryer was called a "Troll" by his Two and a Half Men co-star Charlie Sheen, he was a stylishly-dressed, hat-wearing nerd in the 80's cult classic Pretty in Pink.


Best Quote: "I want you to know: Despite my appearance at this function, I remain now, and will always be, a Duckman."


  
5. Long Duk Dong

Gedde Watanabe in the 80's film Sixteen Candles made me want to rent an Asian foreign exchange nerd just so I could hear him say "hyena" instead of "hernia."


Best Quote: "No more yanky my wanky. The Donger need food."




4. Farmer Ted

The second Sixteen Candles nerd on the list! The best thing about the "The Geek," A.K.A. Farmer Ted (besides his braces and feathered hair) was that he THOUGHT he was cool. You can't hate a guy for having confidence.

Best Quote: "Can I borrow your underpants for 10 minutes?"


Image: Mike Casey


3. Dudley "Booger" Dawson

Curtis Armstrong was the most disgusting nerd of them all in the 80's film Revenge of the Nerds, yet he earned "cool" points from me because he could blow anyone out of the water when it came to belching.

Best Quote: "I've been out combing the high schools all day."


2. Napoleon Dynamite

Jon Heder couldn't have made Napoleon Dynamite any nerdier. The picture says it all.

Best Quote: "You know, there's like a boat-load of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bow staff."

Image: Movie Phone

1. Milton

My all-time favorite nerd in movie history...ever! Why? Stephen Root was perfect as meek-mannered, nerdy Milton Waddams in the 1999 comedy Office Space. He was the guy who gets shafted on everything at Initech, yet he comes out victorious in the end!

Best Quote: "And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire."

No comments:

Post a Comment